You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Memory: Phone and icloud drive

Guys, I need help. If my phone memory is 64gb and it's full and if I buy 50GB on icloud, does it mean that, when my photos are uploaded on icloud I can delete them from my phone memory and still has access to them, because I have bought some extra space on icloud drive and I want my phone memory to be free for the next photo shooting season. If I do this do I delete photos only from phone memory or both phone memory and idrive? Can I seperate this two memories to be individual or they are connected to each other?

iPhone XS

Posted on Aug 23, 2019 6:39 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 23, 2019 6:50 AM

No. If you delete them they will also delete from iCloud unless you disable using iCloud Photos on your iPhone, in which case you're basically cutting off your phone's photos feature from your other devices. See the first link below for details. If you do not wish to do that then you need to optimize memory usage as described in the second link.

Get help with iCloud Photos - Apple Support

How to check the storage on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - https://support.apple.com/HT201656 - "If your device is low on storage, iOS automatically optimizes its available space while installing an app, updating iOS, downloading music, recording videos, and more. To make more storage available, iOS can remove some of your items, like streamed music and videos, files in iCloud Drive, and parts of apps that aren't needed. It also removes temporary files and clears the cache on your device. iOS only removes items that can be downloaded again or that aren't needed anymore."

Delete photos on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 23, 2019 6:50 AM in response to MaryDaVinci

No. If you delete them they will also delete from iCloud unless you disable using iCloud Photos on your iPhone, in which case you're basically cutting off your phone's photos feature from your other devices. See the first link below for details. If you do not wish to do that then you need to optimize memory usage as described in the second link.

Get help with iCloud Photos - Apple Support

How to check the storage on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - https://support.apple.com/HT201656 - "If your device is low on storage, iOS automatically optimizes its available space while installing an app, updating iOS, downloading music, recording videos, and more. To make more storage available, iOS can remove some of your items, like streamed music and videos, files in iCloud Drive, and parts of apps that aren't needed. It also removes temporary files and clears the cache on your device. iOS only removes items that can be downloaded again or that aren't needed anymore."

Delete photos on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Memory: Phone and icloud drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.