You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help Decoding Apple Hardware Error Code: 4MOT/4/40000003-HDD-1319 or 4MOT/4/40000003: HDD-1276

I have a Late 2009, 27" iMac. It has been a solid machine and served me quite well over the years. Finally over the last year, I started having some issues with it. Most recently it is failing to boot up.

It plays the chime, gets half-way through the progress bar, then glitches out to a white/gray screen. Then it sits there for a few minutes and then tries to reboot itself. After trying a few possible fixes, such as PRAM and SMC reset etc, I decided to run the Mac Hardware diagnostics. That gave me the following two errors.

Quick Test: 4MOT/4/40000003: HDD-1276

Extended Test: 4MOT/4/40000003-HDD-1319

I am trying to see what these errors mean. I know that a 4MOT error has to do with fans. And the HDD part makes me think this has to do with the Hard Disk fan. What I am trying to figure out is the numeric part of the error code. Is it telling me that the fan unit has stopped working, or if this a temperature sensor issue/something else.

I am hoping someone with access to these codes, or prior knowledge about them can help decode these for me.

Thanks!

Posted on Aug 25, 2019 8:49 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 25, 2019 10:24 PM

Those codes are only available to certified technicians. We don't have the information you want. You've figured out the important information. A cooling fan motor is producing an error. You can check whether the fan needs cleaning, but if that isn't the problem you will need to replace the part.

Make an appointment at the Apple Genius Bar for service. If you need to find an Apple Store - Find a Store - Apple. Also, see How to find your nearest Apple Authorized Service Provider (AASP) or Distributor (AAD).

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 25, 2019 10:24 PM in response to RishiSS

Those codes are only available to certified technicians. We don't have the information you want. You've figured out the important information. A cooling fan motor is producing an error. You can check whether the fan needs cleaning, but if that isn't the problem you will need to replace the part.

Make an appointment at the Apple Genius Bar for service. If you need to find an Apple Store - Find a Store - Apple. Also, see How to find your nearest Apple Authorized Service Provider (AASP) or Distributor (AAD).

Aug 25, 2019 10:27 PM in response to RishiSS

FWIW, your iMac is too old to be serviced by Apple or an AASP…

"Obsolete products are those that were discontinued more

than 7 years ago. Monster-branded Beats products are considered

obsolete regardless of when they were purchased.  Apple has discontinued

all hardware service for obsolete products with no exceptions. Service

providers cannot order parts for obsolete products."

See: Vintage and obsolete products - Apple Support

Aug 25, 2019 10:49 PM in response to Kappy

An AASP can do the service even if a store will not. Parts can be found assuming the fan needs to be replaced. Or you could do it yourself using a tutorial from OWC. You can also hunt for someone in your locale that knows how to service these older Macs.

However, I would suggest you save yourself some trouble and buy a new computer.

Help Decoding Apple Hardware Error Code: 4MOT/4/40000003-HDD-1319 or 4MOT/4/40000003: HDD-1276

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.