You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Numbers

I am trying to set up an order form template but I'm struggling, newbie. I'd like to be able to populate cells of a row by simply filling in first cell and referencing that to cells in a different sheet. Is this possible?

Posted on Aug 26, 2019 7:57 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 26, 2019 8:23 AM

assuming your data is in the first four columns of a table named "Data"

and that the first column is the index (or lookup value). you can do what you want like this:

also assuming the columns will be in the same order...

enter the index or lookup value in column 1, then use this formula in the other columns. Select cell B1, then type (or copy and paste from here)

=VLOOKUP($A1, Data::$A:$E, COLUMN(), 0)

shorthand is:

B1=VLOOKUP($A1, Data::$A:$E, COLUMN(), 0)

select cell B1, copy

select cell B1 thru E1, paste

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 26, 2019 8:23 AM in response to Jacko1011

assuming your data is in the first four columns of a table named "Data"

and that the first column is the index (or lookup value). you can do what you want like this:

also assuming the columns will be in the same order...

enter the index or lookup value in column 1, then use this formula in the other columns. Select cell B1, then type (or copy and paste from here)

=VLOOKUP($A1, Data::$A:$E, COLUMN(), 0)

shorthand is:

B1=VLOOKUP($A1, Data::$A:$E, COLUMN(), 0)

select cell B1, copy

select cell B1 thru E1, paste

Aug 30, 2019 10:42 AM in response to Jacko1011

Hi Wayne, your reply to my question worked a treat, however, I am trying to create an order form for only the items I need. Is there a way I can populate only the cells I need to order from the data sheet? My logic would be

If A1 =item1then lookup$Data A1. A2=lookup$dataA2 etc.

Complete newcomer to spreadsheets, can only do basic formulae.

Alan

Aug 30, 2019 1:12 PM in response to Jacko1011

Hi Alan,

"Is there a way I can populate only the cells I need to order from the data sheet? "

That's essentially what Wayne's solution does.

In the Data table, column A contains the Item Number assigned to each specific item.

Columns B, C and D contain the item name, and other data about the item (could be size, colour, price).

Table 1-1 is one line of the table on your order form,

The formula shown is entered in cell B1, then filled right into C1 and D1.

You can add as many rows as needed to that table, and fill the three copies of the formula down to the last row.

To use the form:

Enter an item number in cell A1

Enter different item number in A2, and a third item number in A3.

Each row will be populated by the three data items associated with ('on the same row of the Data table as) the item number entered in column A.

You can get a more detailed description of the VLOOKUP function in the Function Browser. To open the browser, click on any cell in a table (choose an empty cell), then type =

The Formula editor will open (at the cell), and can be moved by clicking it to the left of the ƒ symbol and dragging the editor to a new location.

The Function Browser will open in the right sidebar.

Functions are listed alphabetically in the browser, and are also grouped in categories by type, listed in the browser's left column, Typing in the search box automatically shortens the list to show only functions whose name contains the series of letters currently in the box. For VLOOKUP, 'VL' or 'OO' or 'OK' should shorten the list to the point where you can click on VLOOKUP to see the description and other details regarding this function.

Regards,

Barry

Apple Numbers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.