You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

thunderbolt port display

I've got an A1407 Thunderbolt Display here at work and after I plug in the permanently attached thunderbolt cable to either of my Macbook Pros (Retina 15in Mid 2015 and Retina 13in Late 2013), the display flickers a few times and then turns completely black. It feels like it's the permanently attached thunderbolt cable that has a short in it. Is it possible to connect one of these Macbooks directly to the thunderbolt port on the back of the monitor? I don't know if that port is only for attaching additional devices or if you can connect it to a computer.

MacBook

Posted on Aug 26, 2019 8:22 AM

Similar questions

2 replies

Aug 26, 2019 10:26 AM in response to t.moe

Thanks for your help! I picked up a thunderbolt cable and the display worked fine with both laptops. Now I have a buzz/static sound coming out of the speakers. Sounds like maybe a grounding issue. Perhaps that thunderbolt/magsafe cable does have a short in it and is causing a bad ground and the speakers in the monitor are producing the noise.

thunderbolt port display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.