You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

trackpad and keyboard not responding

Hello,

I have found recently that randomly my track pad and built-in keyboard on my Macbook pro 2015 (I am running on Mac OS sierra) would stop responding at all. The only thing I could do was to shutdown and turn back on my computer. I looked up about the problem, and people recommended to an SMC reset. I followed the instructions, but after that, my Macbook stopped turning on entirely. Every time I would boot it up, it got stuck on the Apple logo and bar, and just shut off again before it turned on.

Then I looked up about my new problem, and found answers telling me to go to the recovery menu, back up my files, and reinstall Mac OS altogether. By this time, I figured out I could use a USB mouse and keyboard to be able to navigate the recovery menu, because my built-in keyboard and track pad were still not working.

I am still hesitant to reinstall Mac OS on my computer, and before I do anything that may mess with my files I was hoping that any of you in the community had any wisdom to share with me.

Thank you,

Levi

MacBook

Posted on Aug 27, 2019 2:14 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 27, 2019 4:54 PM

On the 2015 model when both keyboard and trackpad fail at the same time it is usually a hardware issue (possibly the trackpad cable). Take the laptop to Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider to be examined.

Before taking the laptop in for service make sure to have a current backup. Use an external USB keyboard and mouse if necessary.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 27, 2019 4:54 PM in response to levi29

On the 2015 model when both keyboard and trackpad fail at the same time it is usually a hardware issue (possibly the trackpad cable). Take the laptop to Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider to be examined.

Before taking the laptop in for service make sure to have a current backup. Use an external USB keyboard and mouse if necessary.

trackpad and keyboard not responding

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.