You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Accidental trackpad touches interfering with typing?

Years ago, using the keyboard on my old MacBook Pro would automatically disable the trackpad. It worked like a dream as the moment you stopped typing you could use the trackpad again.

Recently I had a new MacBook Pro from my work. I really thought something was wrong with it because I'd be typing away and suddenly the cursor would jump somewhere else and my text would appear in the wrong place. Then I bought another new MacBook Pro for personal use as my job came to an end and I had to hand the first one back - and I came to realise it was preference related rather than a fault because I had exactly the same issue on the new machine. Yet there is nothing in any of the preferences about preventing accidental trackpad touches while typing.

Please tell me I've missed something? I am starting to type with my wrists in the air, which is a strain and likely to bring on RSI. I really don't want to have to get an external keyboard out every time I type as having to use a second keyboard would negate the whole purpose of having an untethered laptop!

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Aug 29, 2019 4:48 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 29, 2019 8:52 AM

You need to correctly position your hands while typing.

2 replies

Aug 30, 2019 1:24 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

… and sit on a piano stool, leaning slightly forwards!

Seriously, that position is not good when you are leaning back in an armchair. It's just not balanced and puts strain on your wrists. I'm a piano teacher, I'd know!

So this is another good thing that Apple has just discarded? There's no way to switch it back on? And Windows users are still enjoying the benefit of something Apple pioneered a decade or two ago? WHY do they do this to us??? Argghhh!

Thanks for replying, anyway, and for going to the trouble of posting a drawing.

Accidental trackpad touches interfering with typing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.