You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Virus protection

I got an notice my MacBookPro is infected with virus and I should download a recommended fix . . do I follow this or is it dangerous?

Posted on Aug 30, 2019 8:37 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 30, 2019 9:06 PM

i2canoe Said:

"I got an notice my MacBookPro is infected with virus and I should download a recommended fix . . do I follow this or is it dangerous?"

That is a HTML File:

That is a Hoax. It is no more than an HTML file (Web site). There is nothing "application" about it, so to say.

Rid of Security Software:

So, Rid of all security software installed on your Mac; it is pointless to use anyway, and is a waste of storage space. Rid of it as instructed by its software developer. Contact the developer to find out just how to rid of it 100%

Malware: Run MalwareBytes

Run MalwareBytes. I is an application created by long time Apple-Users; it can be downloaded on the App Store.

-------

Notes and Reference Sites on Phishing:

12 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 30, 2019 9:06 PM in response to i2canoe

i2canoe Said:

"I got an notice my MacBookPro is infected with virus and I should download a recommended fix . . do I follow this or is it dangerous?"

That is a HTML File:

That is a Hoax. It is no more than an HTML file (Web site). There is nothing "application" about it, so to say.

Rid of Security Software:

So, Rid of all security software installed on your Mac; it is pointless to use anyway, and is a waste of storage space. Rid of it as instructed by its software developer. Contact the developer to find out just how to rid of it 100%

Malware: Run MalwareBytes

Run MalwareBytes. I is an application created by long time Apple-Users; it can be downloaded on the App Store.

-------

Notes and Reference Sites on Phishing:

Aug 31, 2019 7:14 AM in response to i2canoe

i2canoe wrote:

Is it necessary to buy the upgrade on Malware or the free version sufficient?

It should only be necessary to use MalwareBytes once in your lifetime. If you managed to get tricked into installing Adware, you should learn from the experience and never install Adware again. If you get tricked into installing Adware more than once, you need more help than MalwareBytes can provide.

How to install adware - Apple Community

Effective defenses against malware and ot… - Apple Community

Oct 2, 2019 12:02 PM in response to i2canoe

Since Apple will never pop this junk in your browser, then all else, regardless of how convincing, or displaying a likeness of an Apple website — is just another SCAM. Quit Safari, then:

1. Press the shift key when relaunching Safari.
  2. Select Safari menu : Clear History… : all history : Clear History
    1. This purges all cookies and history
  3. Safari Preferences : Advanced : [√] Show Develop menu in menu bar
    1. Press option+command+e keys to clear the browser cache
  4. Quit Safari and relaunch normally.
  5. Avoid each website that pops this SCAMware in your browser.

Aug 31, 2019 7:47 AM in response to i2canoe

Unless you clicked on a link and let it install something it is unlikely you even need to run Malwarebytes. It's just a web page pretending to be a virus notice. There is no basis in reality for what it says.

If you are constantly seeing this then it is possible you do have malware constantly redirecting you to that site, either from that site or possibly from another one you visited earlier. Then you need to consider running Malwarebytes one time to deal with this incidence.

I run Malwarebytes maybe once every 6 months but it has yet to detect anything on my computer. I'm just careful which web sites I visit and what I click on.

Virus protection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.