You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Kernel panic, even after clean install on 2015 iMac

Hi there, I was hoping someone may have an idea why I keep getting kernel panics. I have clean installed twice now, the time before last was with Sierra and this time with Mojave, and have consistently had kernel panics when rendering in Adobe Premiere. It's a late 2015 iMac, 27-inch 3.2ghz i5 with 24Gb RAM and AMD Radeon R9 M390 2GB. It basically kernel panics every time I try rendering.

I have run Apple diagnostics test twice and it says everything is fine.

Another 2017 iMac with similar specs never has these constant panics, running all the same software versions etc.

If someone has any clue why this is happening I would love to hear!

Here is the panic report if anyone knows what it means:

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Sep 4, 2019 6:33 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 27, 2019 10:02 PM

SOLVED!! (kind of)

If anyone comes across this post and has the same issue, this is what I did to stop all the crashing and kernel panics:

I clean installed macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 (by wiping and installing via the internet in recovery mode) and now both the iMacs that used to have massive issues haven't crashed since reverting to High Sierra.

When I wiped the computers I also made sure the HDD's were re-formatted to HFS+ as they were converted to APFS when they upgraded to Mojave. Not sure if APFS was the issue or maybe the graphics cards, but four other iMacs that have more solid state storage run fine on Mojave, including an older 2014 iMac. Now the 1TB Fusion Drive and 1TB HDD are HFS+ and no crashes or kernel panics.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 27, 2019 10:02 PM in response to sunraysiadaily

SOLVED!! (kind of)

If anyone comes across this post and has the same issue, this is what I did to stop all the crashing and kernel panics:

I clean installed macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 (by wiping and installing via the internet in recovery mode) and now both the iMacs that used to have massive issues haven't crashed since reverting to High Sierra.

When I wiped the computers I also made sure the HDD's were re-formatted to HFS+ as they were converted to APFS when they upgraded to Mojave. Not sure if APFS was the issue or maybe the graphics cards, but four other iMacs that have more solid state storage run fine on Mojave, including an older 2014 iMac. Now the 1TB Fusion Drive and 1TB HDD are HFS+ and no crashes or kernel panics.

Sep 4, 2019 7:53 PM in response to sunraysiadaily

Test it with only the factory RAM modules.

When did you add the extra RAM modules?

Where did you buy those modules from?

If it was from a reputable vendor like OWC or Crucial, then perhaps you have a loose or partly seated module.

If it was not from a reputable vendor, then include bad and not Mac compatible RAM to the list.

Again, test it with only the factory RAM modules.

Oct 9, 2019 5:11 PM in response to den.thed

Thanks, I have previously thought it may be the RAM, so tested with the Apple diagnostics and showed up fine, but I guess that doesn't mean a lot? It is OWC RAM, and it could be the issue, but I've been trying to replicate the crashing and only seems to happen when we are legit trying to do work and not when I'm trying to force a crash of course, so very hard to test! (And this is why I took so long to reply as I haven't had the time to constantly swap modules and wait for a crash)

To provide some more background we have 5 iMacs and all have factory and OWC RAM and the two 2015 iMacs have the same issue of restarting randomly during renders, and the 2017 iMacs do not, so it could be a coincidence and they may just have bad RAM, but I was thinking it might be some issue with the AMD Radeon R9 M390 2GB as the 2017 iMacs have newer video cards.

If anyone knows an easier way to test RAM than just swapping out modules and waiting for a crash then please let me know :)

Kernel panic, even after clean install on 2015 iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.