You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

So how do I update to 64 and will this impair any applications?

Posted on Sep 5, 2019 7:49 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 5, 2019 7:58 AM

Mojave is already 64 bit. You can identify your current 32 bit apps by using the System Report, sort accordingly. When Catalina is released, those 32 bit apps won't function.

Note: MacOS has been 64 bit since the introduction of Lion 10.7.

3 replies

Sep 5, 2019 10:56 AM in response to amonalisa32304

It’s your existing 32 bit apps that will need updating, not macOS or your Mac. If you have any apps that are mission critical you need to check to see if they are already 64 bit or if they can be updated to 64 bit. That all depends on the developer of those apps. The more responsible developers will have already made their apps compatible with macOS 10.15 Catalina. Older software may have been abandoned by its developer with no hope of an update. Be sure to check before you decide to move to Catalina.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.