You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Questions about Apple ID and Family Share

I’m currently on my husbands Apple ID but it’s proving problematic at the moment. If I create my own will I loose everything on my phone if I log out of his ID? I know apps and photos will no longer be on the phone but what about things like messages and notes? He wants to set up family sharing so what will I be able to have access through that app? If we do iCloud through that app will my phone be backed up or do I need to set my own up? How will changing my ID affect other devices linked to my phone like Apple Watch?

iPhone XS

Posted on Sep 6, 2019 7:11 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 6, 2019 7:26 AM

Signing out of the Apple ID will leave most content on the iPhone untouched. When you sign out of iCloud you will be asked if you wish to keep the content like Photos, contacts, notes, etc.. on the iPhone, and you can simply say "Yes" to keep it.

Apps will remain on the iPhone, but will continue to be tied to the Apple ID that bought them, and will continue to require it for updates.

For iCloud backups, once you log in to the new account, the iPhone will then back up to it normally.

The Apple Watch you'll need to sign out of the Apple Id and sign in with the new one in the Watch App on the iPhone.

See here: Sign in with your Apple ID - Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 6, 2019 7:26 AM in response to H_hntrjmpr

Signing out of the Apple ID will leave most content on the iPhone untouched. When you sign out of iCloud you will be asked if you wish to keep the content like Photos, contacts, notes, etc.. on the iPhone, and you can simply say "Yes" to keep it.

Apps will remain on the iPhone, but will continue to be tied to the Apple ID that bought them, and will continue to require it for updates.

For iCloud backups, once you log in to the new account, the iPhone will then back up to it normally.

The Apple Watch you'll need to sign out of the Apple Id and sign in with the new one in the Watch App on the iPhone.

See here: Sign in with your Apple ID - Apple Support

Questions about Apple ID and Family Share

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.