You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keychain Access Restore / Reset

Greetings, While trying to clean my keychain passwords I mistakenly chose "Reset My Default Keychain" option.

In preferences it states "a new keychain is created and the old will be "Moved Aside but not Deleted".

I have been unable to find how to restore or move back to the original Keychain.

Seeking help for a mistake I made that has really messed me up.

Thank you, Very Embarrassed

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Sep 6, 2019 4:50 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 6, 2019 7:28 PM

Try doing a backup, preferably 2 backups on 2 separate drives.

Quit the application.

Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J.  When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder.  Select Library. Then select Keychains. See if the old keychain is there. If so, open Keychain Access, then go to File/Add Keychain.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 6, 2019 7:28 PM in response to OT51

Try doing a backup, preferably 2 backups on 2 separate drives.

Quit the application.

Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J.  When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder.  Select Library. Then select Keychains. See if the old keychain is there. If so, open Keychain Access, then go to File/Add Keychain.

Sep 6, 2019 8:39 PM in response to Eric Root

Thank You Eric, I will follow this and see where it takes me.

It's frustrating. I have always used LastPass and today it said I needed to update LP for Safari.

Well that went nowhere. Safari will not accept it as an extension. I downloaded from both iTunes and LP and they both put LP up in the Taskbar and Safari does not recognize the Extension.

Sep 7, 2019 3:38 PM in response to Eric Root

You are right on that Eric.

I do appreciate your time on this.

It would have been nice of LP to inform users.

I'm sure there must be many users on El Capitan that were caught off guard.

I went to their support page and it is riddled with hundreds of unhappy users becasue of this.

It is still working on my wifes so I told her, don't touch anything until I get your passwords moved over.

Time to look into an alternative for sure. I have yet to hear from LP.

Thank you again, I do appreciate all of you that give your time and expertise freely to those of us that do at times get challenged.

Best regards.....

Keychain Access Restore / Reset

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.