You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am preparing to send in my iMac to be recycled. Instructions said to backup personal files (which I have done) and wipe data before shipping. How do I "wipe data?"

I am preparing to send in my iMac to be recycled. Instructions said to backup personal files (which I have done) and wipe data before shipping. How do I "wipe data?"

Posted on Sep 9, 2019 12:30 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 9, 2019 9:15 PM

If you are very concerned about the data, you may want to do a more thorough erase. See section 8 in:

Erase a volume using Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

One pass, or moving the slider one position to the right, is enough.

3 replies

Sep 9, 2019 12:35 PM in response to CommunityUser_0919-62

The most simple method is to restart in the Recovery Partition (Command + R on startup) and then open Disk Liabilities and format the internal drive. This will wipe the HD clean. If you have a bootable clone backup EHD, you can also boot from the clone and open Disk Utilities - Format and format the internal HD on the computer.

Instructions for formatting the drive can be found in many places, for example this Youtube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDeCVUFl-Ac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.