You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I run 4K at 60Hz on an external display and 60Hz on the built-in display on a 2015 MacBook Pro?

I want to buy a Samsung U28E590D monitor that supports 4K at 60Hz to make a 2-monitor setup (an external display + the built-in display). I need both displays to run native resolutions at 60Hz, in the separate displays mode. Is it possible with an early 2015 MacBook Pro 15"?

I know that MacBook Pro 2015 can run 4K 60FPS on an external display through a DisplayPort v1.2 cable. But I haven't found an acknowledgement that in can run its built-in display at 60FPS at the same time.

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Sep 13, 2019 6:49 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 13, 2019 7:06 AM

Hi,

Following document could help your question.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206587

8 replies

Sep 17, 2019 5:57 AM in response to OstapBender

Use of an external display will to affect the refresh rate on the Internal display, and vice-versa. Each has independent hardware to support it at full resolution and high refresh rates. DisplayPort family and ThunderBolt provide fastest refresh rates.

Do not make the mistake of assuming that "Legacy" display interfaces can do as well as DisplayPort, especially at higher resolutions. Also, a direct adapter may be required. Many Docking stations bypass the built-in Hardware support, and could produce remarkably poorer results.

Sep 17, 2019 7:30 AM in response to OstapBender

<<I don't want to offend you but your replies don't seem to be relevant.>>

I am glad you have already found the solution for you situation.

But this forum and this discussion will be here for YEARS, and users who are not as expert as you may find it by searching. It is therefore my practice to enumerate some of the most prominent pitfalls of the subject under discussion before I walk away.

Please feel free to ignore anything that you do not find relevant to YOUR situation. Others who read this discussion later may find it very relevant.

Can I run 4K at 60Hz on an external display and 60Hz on the built-in display on a 2015 MacBook Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.