You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Music Library: What is actually mine?

I'm not sure if this has been asked before... But I recently got some iPods and want to load music onto it. I signed up for Apple Music years ago so my old library got uploaded to iCloud Music Library and then I've added music from Apple Music ever since.

Is there an easy way to see the music that I actually "own"? Like the music I had in my library before it was uploaded. I tried making a Smart Playlist: iCloud Status > is > Uploaded and it only shows 1,500 songs instead of the nearly 7,000 I had. The closest thing I have gotten is making a Smart Playlist with: Date Added > is before > and then a rough date before I signed up for Apple Music. Even then when I downloaded the songs for offline only some of them let me copy to the iPod even though I know they were my files before uploading.

I hope this makes sense. Thank you!

Posted on Sep 14, 2019 2:37 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 15, 2019 9:45 AM

If you have Apple Music but not iTunes Match, songs you have ripped which are also in the iTunes Store or the Apple Music library will appear in your Apple Music Library but will be subject to DRM and so won't copy to other devices. Songs you've ripped but which are not in either library should be uploaded without DRM. This page may help:

https://rfwilmut.net/notes/applemusic.html

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 15, 2019 9:45 AM in response to keegancherry

If you have Apple Music but not iTunes Match, songs you have ripped which are also in the iTunes Store or the Apple Music library will appear in your Apple Music Library but will be subject to DRM and so won't copy to other devices. Songs you've ripped but which are not in either library should be uploaded without DRM. This page may help:

https://rfwilmut.net/notes/applemusic.html

Sep 14, 2019 2:54 PM in response to keegancherry

Anything you bought from the iTunes Store is yours and can be copied to an iPod. Songs you have ripped from a CD are in the same case (though you would be breaching copyright if you had subsequently got rid of the CD).

Songs you have downloaded from the Apple Music library can only be played on the device they were downloaded to: they cannot be moved to another device but have to be downloaded again (so obviously they cannot be placed on any iPod other than a Touch). They will disappear if you terminate the subscription, so they are not 'yours', they are on loan.

iCloud Music Library: What is actually mine?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.