You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Flashing Question Mark Folder

I tried updating my MacBook Pro to Mojave and it was acting up after doing so, so I decided to just wipe it and try again. When I tried wiping it, it just froze up, so I shut it down and then I got the question mark folder. I tried all the key combinations like other discussions told me to and it's just not working and I don't know what to do. I'm afraid to take it to the Apple Store because I bought it used and I don't know if they'll even fix a used computer. If there's anything I need to do or buy, I would appreciate anyone's help.

MacBook

Posted on Sep 15, 2019 6:12 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2019 10:47 PM

I had the exact same issue when trying to update my MacBook Pro retina (2015) to Catalina beta. It became really hot and refused to turn on no matter what I pressed. Took it to the Apple store where the genius couldn’t really put his finger on it. Then it started with the question mark folder all of a sudden. The genius said it’s either a drive issue or a logic board problem. He also noted how my MacBook was 3 years old and not a single mark on it so it couldn’t have been down to negligence. I’m yet to hear the diagnosis from Apple. Despite the condition of the MacBook, and the fact I was updating to their OS when this happened, Apple still insists that I pay!

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 22, 2019 10:47 PM in response to ciera226

I had the exact same issue when trying to update my MacBook Pro retina (2015) to Catalina beta. It became really hot and refused to turn on no matter what I pressed. Took it to the Apple store where the genius couldn’t really put his finger on it. Then it started with the question mark folder all of a sudden. The genius said it’s either a drive issue or a logic board problem. He also noted how my MacBook was 3 years old and not a single mark on it so it couldn’t have been down to negligence. I’m yet to hear the diagnosis from Apple. Despite the condition of the MacBook, and the fact I was updating to their OS when this happened, Apple still insists that I pay!

Flashing Question Mark Folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.