You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mail em window default size problem

Ok... I must be missing something here... every time i write a new email or reply to an email, I have to increase the window size so I can see something more than the heading fields... Why can't I change the default window size in mac mail? ...So that every time I begin a new message or reply to a message, the window appears in a size that I desire?

Posted on Sep 17, 2019 11:31 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 17, 2019 9:19 PM

The default window size ought to be what you last selected. In other words your resized window dimensions should "stick".

Did you create any custom Mail signatures: Create and use email signatures in Mail on Mac - Apple Support. If so, try deleting them, and then quit Mail. Then, hold a Shift key while launching Mail from Applications or the Dock.

That action will open Mail in windowed mode (not full screen) with no messages selected, and is discussed here: If Mail unexpectedly quits when viewing certain messages - Apple Support.

Although that particular problem is not addressed, review Troubleshoot email problems in Mail on Mac. Malformed email signatures have been known to cause bizarre Mail behavior.

For a very remote possibility read Resolve issues caused by changing the permissions of items in your home folder. I think you'd have other problems if that were the case though.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 17, 2019 9:19 PM in response to hardswing

The default window size ought to be what you last selected. In other words your resized window dimensions should "stick".

Did you create any custom Mail signatures: Create and use email signatures in Mail on Mac - Apple Support. If so, try deleting them, and then quit Mail. Then, hold a Shift key while launching Mail from Applications or the Dock.

That action will open Mail in windowed mode (not full screen) with no messages selected, and is discussed here: If Mail unexpectedly quits when viewing certain messages - Apple Support.

Although that particular problem is not addressed, review Troubleshoot email problems in Mail on Mac. Malformed email signatures have been known to cause bizarre Mail behavior.

For a very remote possibility read Resolve issues caused by changing the permissions of items in your home folder. I think you'd have other problems if that were the case though.

Mac Mail em window default size problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.