You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Songs lost when syncing iPhone with iTunes just installed on a new computer

Following consolidation and transferring iTunes to a new computer with the most recent version of iTunes, all my songs and playlists were copied correctly. But after syncing my iPhone to iTunes, a significant number of songs were lost and the play lists reverted to abbreviated playlists from several years ago. When I repasted my saved iTunes folder to my music folder on the new computer, I did not get my original songs and playlists back but merely the ones left over from the syncing. My proposed solution is to delete iTunes from my new computer and delete the iTunes folder from my music folder and delete the music library from my iPhone and then reinstall iTunes, paste the iTunes folder in the music folder on my new computer and then copy my iTunes library to my iPhone. I have accumulated my library from downloads and from CDs over the past 15 years during which time I have gone through two or three computers I have never had this problem before. Is this a familiar problem and does anyone have a solution?

Posted on Sep 17, 2019 6:37 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 18, 2019 10:22 AM

Hi AugustPaul,

Thank you for posting in the Apple Support Communities. From the sounds of it, your iTunes library from the old computer didn’t transfer over as expected to your new PC. I’d like to assist. 

First, be sure you’ve taken these steps to move your library over to the new PC: Move your iTunes library to another computer

If music files are still missing, take these steps: Import songs from CDs into iTunes on PC

Finally, if purchased music is missing, you can download each song using these steps: Redownload apps, music, movies, TV shows, and books from the App Store, iTunes Store, and Apple Books

When your iTunes library is back to the way you like it, you can use these steps: Sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod using iTunes on your computer

I hope this helps. Kind regards. 

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 18, 2019 10:22 AM in response to AugustPaul

Hi AugustPaul,

Thank you for posting in the Apple Support Communities. From the sounds of it, your iTunes library from the old computer didn’t transfer over as expected to your new PC. I’d like to assist. 

First, be sure you’ve taken these steps to move your library over to the new PC: Move your iTunes library to another computer

If music files are still missing, take these steps: Import songs from CDs into iTunes on PC

Finally, if purchased music is missing, you can download each song using these steps: Redownload apps, music, movies, TV shows, and books from the App Store, iTunes Store, and Apple Books

When your iTunes library is back to the way you like it, you can use these steps: Sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod using iTunes on your computer

I hope this helps. Kind regards. 

Sep 18, 2019 11:38 AM in response to MoonJ.

@MoonJ I was aware of these steps and I was hoping for an easier answer. I reframed the question with more information and posted it separately, so I will paste that here: Following consolidation and transferring iTunes to a new computer with the most recent version of iTunes, all my songs and playlists were copied correctly.  But after syncing my iPhone to iTunes on the new computer, a significant number of songs were lost and the playlists reverted to abbreviated playlists from several years ago.  When I repasted my saved iTunes folder to my music folder on the new computer, I did not get my original songs and playlists back but merely the ones left over from the syncing.  My proposed solution is to delete iTunes from my new computer and delete the iTunes folder from my music folder and delete the music library from my iPhone and then reinstall iTunes, paste the iTunes folder in the music folder on my new computer and then copy my iTunes library to my iPhone.  I have accumulated my library from downloads and from CDs over the past 15 years during which time I have gone through two or three computers  I have never had this problem before.  Is this a familiar problem and does anyone have a solution?

Songs lost when syncing iPhone with iTunes just installed on a new computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.