You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari 13 will not play the MP3 player widget on this website

Safari 13 will not play the MP3 player widget on this website. Worked fine with 12.x, works fine on latest Windows. Safari 13 doesn't recognize the "play" button.

http://www.contrebombarde.com/concerthall/music/35561

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Sep 20, 2019 8:57 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 20, 2019 10:28 AM

Try setting up another admin user account in System Preferences/Users & Groups to see if the same problem continues. Please post back on whether or not this worked. Also try the Safe Mode. Please post back on whether or not this worked.

Isolating an issue by using another user account 

Safe Mode - About

If it works in the Safe Mode, try running this program when booted normally and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor.  Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown. If the log won’t post, try posting it in Pastebin and provide a link in a reply. After pasting the report in a PasteBin page, go to the top of the page, and copy the address in the URL bar. Paste that in a new reply.        Pastebin

Etrecheck – System Information

15 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 20, 2019 10:28 AM in response to Grant_Y

Try setting up another admin user account in System Preferences/Users & Groups to see if the same problem continues. Please post back on whether or not this worked. Also try the Safe Mode. Please post back on whether or not this worked.

Isolating an issue by using another user account 

Safe Mode - About

If it works in the Safe Mode, try running this program when booted normally and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor.  Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown. If the log won’t post, try posting it in Pastebin and provide a link in a reply. After pasting the report in a PasteBin page, go to the top of the page, and copy the address in the URL bar. Paste that in a new reply.        Pastebin

Etrecheck – System Information

Sep 20, 2019 11:11 AM in response to Grant_Y

Grant_Y Said:

"Can you suggest where to start the hunt for whatever parameter needs to be adjusted?"

-------

Reinstall Safari...

Safari seems corrupted. So, you need to reinstall it.

To get Safari fixed, you have to first delete delete Safari from your Mac, and then either:

For Note:

If you reinstall the macOS, nothing would be deleted. All intended, original files and Apps that came on your macOS would be reinstalled. It’s all about keeping your system files intact.

Time Machine backup:

Important: Create a Time Machine backup of your Mac, so that you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong.

Sep 20, 2019 3:18 PM in response to Grant_Y

Spyder Utility may be what is getting in the way here. The visuals have probably been “miscollaborated” by it, so to speak. So, contact its developer for their input on this. Whomever it is, use their Contact Us link.

Also...

Security Updates are disabled, yet MalwareBytes is installed.

1. Enable you Security Updates, and then see if any updates are available.
  2. Open, Update, then Run MalwareBytes and report back what is found.

Go Here: Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support > Select your currently-installed macOS (Reveal it in About this Mac... in the Apple Menu). Then, scroll down to: Set your Mac to check for software updates automatically

If Security Udates are available, then create a Time Machine Backup, which it appears you currently have configured. With this backup, you can recover your Mac, should anything go wrong with the update installation. Go Here: Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support

Report back what is found by MalwareBytes.

Oct 16, 2019 9:16 AM in response to Grant_Y

Problem solved. Sort of. After removing the Flash plug-in, everything began to work. So I've just completely removed Flash, since it's going the way of the dodo bird anyway. That still doesn't resolve the root of the problem (since it existed on one and only one account on this computer, all sharing the same Flash plug-in). And Flash is not used by the MP3 JScript widget that was failing. But it's no longer an issue.

I've moved on and upgraded to Catalina, and left Flash in the trash.

Sep 20, 2019 4:51 PM in response to Grant_Y

🙂

Thank you for the Reply:

Let us know how the Reinstall goes, if you follow through with it.

A few Notes for Clarification:

Reinstalling the macOS: A reinstall was my original reply’s recommendation, and I think a reinstall of the macOS is just what may solve this Safari issue. Fiddling with the extensions, as you mentioned above, may have done all of this. Who knows?

As for Spyder Utility: I agree that it is a Local problem, being that no new user has this issue. That’s why I brought up Spyder Utility: seeing it being listed as a Login Item. It’s most certainly likely running at the time of using Safari, if you never close it. Just try ridding of it as a Login Item. So, remove Spyder Utility from your Login Items. Restart the Mac, login, and see if all goes as desired.

So, let us know how the Reinstall goes, if you follow through with it. 🙂

Sep 20, 2019 11:16 AM in response to TheLittles

So the Safari in the new account I set up is the same Safari installed in my existing Admin account. It wasn't reloaded from somewhere else. Works there, doesn't work in my current account?

If I uninstall and reinstall Safari, will I lose all of the settings, bookmarks, etc.? I can just revert to Safari 12.x from my most recent backup, and be done with it, I guess. And wait for the next version of 13. Although 13 does appear to work under the new Admin account.

Sep 20, 2019 11:20 AM in response to Grant_Y

It may not help, but try running/posting the Etrecheck report in your normal account. If the log won’t post, try posting it in Pastebin and provide a link in a reply. After pasting the report in a PasteBin page, go to the top of the page, and copy the address in the URL bar. Paste that in a new reply.        Pastebin

To revert to Safari 12, you would need to restore your computer from a backup made prior to installing Safari 13. If you have a Time Machine backup, boot into the Recovery Partition to do that.

Sep 20, 2019 3:18 PM in response to Eric Root

There are no active extensions. There is one extension installed related to Parallels. It is not active. So, no, I don't think extensions could be an issue … and that status hasn't not changed since Safari 12.x.

If the installation of Safari 13 caused a change in macOS Preference settings? But that should not normally be the case. And I've fiddled with several of them, to no avail.

Maybe I'll just hope that the installation of the next macOS version resolves whatever is screwed up … I'll install it from the combo update instead of the usual partial ...

In the meantime, as much as I hate to say it, Windows 10 works fine ...

Sep 20, 2019 3:59 PM in response to TheLittles

Just an FYI — my Mac is backed up. I know how to deal with that. Security updates show as off because I don't let automatic update run. I ALWAYS clone my hard drive before putting up any OS update. I've learned the hard way … you can't trust it.

As to Spyder Utility, I find that hard to believe. Spyder is screen color calibration. All it does is generate a color profile, and tell me when i need to calibrate it again. It's normally not running (but does start up after a reboot/restart) which is why it may have shown up. I normally shut it down after a reboot, use it only when calibrating the screen or doing photo editing, and it wasn't running while I was testing. It's hard to understand how that would affect what Safari is doing when it wasn't running.

My wife's laptop, running identical software versions works fine. So it's clearly a "local" problem. I'm going to reinstall Mojave from the combo update. If that doesn't work, I'll just wait for the next macOS/Safari update and use Parallels/Windows for this specific website.

There's clearly no rational explanation for why things went wonky after installing Safari 13. If the combo update fixes things, I'll report back. If not — I give up for now.

Sep 20, 2019 4:33 PM in response to Grant_Y

I installed the latest Mojave combo update. That had no effect. I installed Safari 13.0.1 Beta v3. That had no effect.

I'm going to reinstall my latest Mojave backup with both supplemental updates and Safari 12.x) and work forward from there. Or maybe just stay there until the next macOS release comes out.

I may also contact Apple support directly.

Thanks for the tips and time taken to respond …

Sep 20, 2019 6:13 PM in response to TheLittles

I do appreciate the help. But … to clarify ….

Reinstallation of macOS using the combo update did NOT solve the problem. I recloned my hard drive from my most recent backup, which put the last known good copy of Mojave back, along with Safari 12.1.x. Also, the second Mojave "supplement" is not installed. THAT (or some combination) solved the problem.

Spyder Utility has NOTHING to do with it, as a Startup item or not. It's running right now and everything is working like it's supposed to. As I said — all that app does is independently generate a calibrated color profile, monitor ambient lighting, using a USB colorimeter, for the attached displays. Fiddling with extensions — there has been no fiddling. I haven't touched them — I only mentioned them. Extensions also seem to have nothing to do with the issue. They are now what they have always been and everything is working.

Of course, now, the system wants me to put Safari 13 back. I think I'll pass for now.

Safari 13 will not play the MP3 player widget on this website

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.