You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I reset the firmware password if I don’t have proof of purchase and have no way to get it or the password from original purchase?

Hello.

So so I worked at a hotel and a guest had left their MacBook. We tried to contact them several times over the course of 6 months to try and send it to them. (We contacted multiple times a week for the first month). We didn’t have an address on file for them and they used a 3rd party booking.

We we were unable to turn it on to even try to get more identifying information.

We held on on to this MacBook for over a year waiting for it to be claimed but no one ever did. (We legally only have to hold items for 90 days). I decided to take the MacBook after getting permission from my boss.

Now i have run into a firmware password issue and I know apple will need proof of purchase which I obviously don’t have.

any other advice for me?

MacBook

Posted on Sep 20, 2019 11:01 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 20, 2019 11:19 PM

I would just take it to an Apple Store, explain what happened, and see if they want to track down the owner. You could also take it to the police.

Similar questions

1 reply

Can I reset the firmware password if I don’t have proof of purchase and have no way to get it or the password from original purchase?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.