You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 2014 Thunderbolt Ethernet connection issue

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15", mid-2014) Thunderbolt input port (I've tried both of them) says Ethernet is currently active but my Thunderbolt Firewire says it's not connected. This has been an issue for a while but I have been using WIFI instead. Would prefer going back to Ethernet.

In trying to find an answer I have read it could have happened during an OS upgrade -? I'm currently on High Sierra.

Tried this but it didn't work:

System Preferences > Network > with Thunderbolt Ethernet highlighted, click Advanced > IPv6: change to Link-local Only > Hit Renew DHCP Lease > OK > Apply.

Also read my Apple Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter could have gone bad but don't want to buy another one if there is actually a solution I'm unaware of.

Thanks in advance!

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Sep 21, 2019 12:47 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2019 8:53 AM

Thanks for your input.

I'd already booted in Safe Mode and reset both the SMC and PRAM a couple times yesterday. This was actually done to address an issue with the fan (nor did any of those things fix that issue - so probably it's the fan itself. I will take it in to be looked at).

So I tried your suggestion that I create a new network location. That made it WORSE. My WIFI stopped working even though it said it was still connected. So then I had NO internet connection.

Called Apple and the tech worked with me and we got the WIFI reconnected after running a diagnostic. Then he was able to look at my screen. We then addressed the Ethernet issue. It wasn't a dirty port, my adaptor, my cable or the plug in through the wiring in the wall that connects throughout the house to the server.

He had me renew the DHC lease and that was the right path to follow along in making sure my network was linked up. Ethernet is back on. However, the Thunderbolt Firewire says it's still not connected. He said it was possibly because there are 2 firewire ports and since one isn't being used it is showing up as not connected. Whatever, I am no longer concerned.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 22, 2019 8:53 AM in response to HWTech

Thanks for your input.

I'd already booted in Safe Mode and reset both the SMC and PRAM a couple times yesterday. This was actually done to address an issue with the fan (nor did any of those things fix that issue - so probably it's the fan itself. I will take it in to be looked at).

So I tried your suggestion that I create a new network location. That made it WORSE. My WIFI stopped working even though it said it was still connected. So then I had NO internet connection.

Called Apple and the tech worked with me and we got the WIFI reconnected after running a diagnostic. Then he was able to look at my screen. We then addressed the Ethernet issue. It wasn't a dirty port, my adaptor, my cable or the plug in through the wiring in the wall that connects throughout the house to the server.

He had me renew the DHC lease and that was the right path to follow along in making sure my network was linked up. Ethernet is back on. However, the Thunderbolt Firewire says it's still not connected. He said it was possibly because there are 2 firewire ports and since one isn't being used it is showing up as not connected. Whatever, I am no longer concerned.

Sep 21, 2019 1:52 PM in response to floydette68

The Thunderbolt port could be dirty, but it is very difficult to clean without damaging the connector or the laptop. You do not want to use any metal or you could seriously damage the laptop.

You should create a new network location and let the settings stay at the defaults.

Try booting into Safe Mode to see if your ethernet will connect.

You can also try an SMC reset and PRAM reset (hold the PRAM reset for at least three chimes).

Sep 22, 2019 9:20 AM in response to floydette68

floydette68 wrote:

Thanks for your input.

This was just intended to reset the ethernet settings to their defaults and not interfere with your other network settings. Since a new Network Location sets all network settings to macOS defaults, this also includes WiFi settings. I'm sorry I forgot to link to Apple's page regarding how to use Network Locations.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202480

MacBook Pro 2014 Thunderbolt Ethernet connection issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.