You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Did anyone receive a Popup Warning to add Security Software to correct 4 hacks

When I turned my iMac on this morning , I received a audio and written message that I should immediately install their suggested software. Checked system with Malwarebytes and I was clean.

Posted on Sep 24, 2019 7:49 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 25, 2019 2:20 PM

There we go. The source.

Any and all such messages in a web browser are lies. Period. There is no software in the world that can tell what's on your computer through a web browser. Not even Apple knows what's on your system.

By default, Safari automatically loads whatever sites you last had open. So every time you launch Safari, you see this nonsense again. Close Safari. Hold down the shift key and launch it again. The shift key tells Safari not reload any pages from the previous session.

Whether not it reappears depend on where you go on the web. Just as with any other site, such pages are all specific to where you go. They don't, and can't appear randomly.

9 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 25, 2019 2:20 PM in response to tallsweet

There we go. The source.

Any and all such messages in a web browser are lies. Period. There is no software in the world that can tell what's on your computer through a web browser. Not even Apple knows what's on your system.

By default, Safari automatically loads whatever sites you last had open. So every time you launch Safari, you see this nonsense again. Close Safari. Hold down the shift key and launch it again. The shift key tells Safari not reload any pages from the previous session.

Whether not it reappears depend on where you go on the web. Just as with any other site, such pages are all specific to where you go. They don't, and can't appear randomly.

Sep 24, 2019 8:19 AM in response to tallsweet

Well, I can't say it isn't a logical response to the way my question was worded, but I guess I'll have to spell it all the way out.

What exactly were you doing when this happened?

It appeared the moment you turned your Mac on? When you opened Messages? When you opened your web browser?

The OS would never toss such a message, so it has to be from somewhere else. Knowing what you were doing the moment it showed up will greatly narrow down where to look for the problem.

Did anyone receive a Popup Warning to add Security Software to correct 4 hacks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.