You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connecting a MiniDV Camera to a Mac mini 2018

Hi Everyone,

I want to copy videos from MiniDV tapes to my Mac mini 2018. I have an old Sony Handycam Camcorder with a MiniDV connector.

What cable / cables and adapters are needed to properly connect the 2 devices together? and what software would I need to operate the camera and copy the tapes?

Posted on Sep 25, 2019 11:40 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 25, 2019 4:20 PM

Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter - Apple

3 replies

Sep 26, 2019 6:41 AM in response to Mark from 2Much

I just retired my old miniDV camcorder (actually it is an ennEUtered Sony TRV320E which just uses Hi8/D8 tapes instead miniDV tapes -- otherwise it uses miniDV standard). I used it a lot with PowerMacintosh 8600/200, PowerBook G4 and finally Mac mini Late 2009 and iMovie 1.0.2-2.1.2-6.0.3 and System 9-OS X 10.3-10.11 via Firewire 400/800.

iMovie HD 6.0.3 still runs on my new Mac mini 2018 and macOS 10.14 and I might one day try how the import/export works with the camcorder.

At least old Firewire drives work:

I had two old NewerTech drive docks I had used via FireWire 800 with my old Macs. I connected them to the new Mac mini 2018's Thunderbolt via two Apple's adapters (Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) – Thunderbolt 2 & Thunderbolt 2 – FireWire). The Firewire drives worked perfectly and I could also boot from them. But occasionally and very randomly the LG UltraFine 4K 23.7" Thunderbolt display went black for a few seconds, sometimes a few times during a few minutes which was very annoying. Sometimes me or somebody else just moving nearby (without moving the desk or the cables) seemed to trigger the error and I suspect automatical display brightness might have played a role there.

Those two adapters were clumsy so I decided to move forward and bought OWC Drive Dock USB-C Dual Drive Bay Solution, USB 3.1 Gen 2 (OWCTCDRVDCK) which works perfectly. With the new OWC Thunderbolt drive dock there are no more screen blackouts. Maybe the extra Thunderbolt adapters caused them?

Connecting a MiniDV Camera to a Mac mini 2018

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.