You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad won't accept Wifi password after updating to iPad OS

Have updated to iPad OS and when trying to connect to WiFi it asks for my WiFi Password, however will not accept it when type it in and hit 'Join'. Have tried several Wifi routers (home, work, iPhone Hotspot) and have the same issue.

Also, this prevents me from signing into my iCloud on my iPad (which should automatically populate and accept the WiFi password across all devices) since I can't connect to internet.

Posted on Sep 26, 2019 12:40 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2019 3:17 AM

I found that if you start the iPad in Recovery mode the PC/Mac does see the iPad okay.

But if I was to connect it iTunes before that it would say "itunes could not connect to the ipad because an error occured while reading the device, stop and start the iTunes and reconnect"

That was on a PC, when I tried from a Mac I saw why it failed, as in on the Mac it was saying if I want to allow access to the computer, it tells me to respond to what's one the iPad, but nothing comes up on the ipad.

So connect the iPad to your PC/Mac, then, press and hold the Home and Power buttons at the same time. Keep holding the buttons after you see the Apple logo, until you see the iTunes logo on the iPad screen.

Then you will get a prompt on the PC/Mac.

Good Luck

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 26, 2019 3:17 AM in response to foxwalsh

I found that if you start the iPad in Recovery mode the PC/Mac does see the iPad okay.

But if I was to connect it iTunes before that it would say "itunes could not connect to the ipad because an error occured while reading the device, stop and start the iTunes and reconnect"

That was on a PC, when I tried from a Mac I saw why it failed, as in on the Mac it was saying if I want to allow access to the computer, it tells me to respond to what's one the iPad, but nothing comes up on the ipad.

So connect the iPad to your PC/Mac, then, press and hold the Home and Power buttons at the same time. Keep holding the buttons after you see the Apple logo, until you see the iTunes logo on the iPad screen.

Then you will get a prompt on the PC/Mac.

Good Luck

Sep 26, 2019 1:45 AM in response to MJPom

Is your iPad functioning otherwise all okay?

I have a similar issue, but at the same time anything that requires me inputting a passowrd fails.

any App I try and run, just crashes out

the iPad locks out as if it doesn't have the resources to function.

I've seen other posts where people have had to do a full rest/wipe of the device to get it working again.

iPad won't accept Wifi password after updating to iPad OS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.