You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I forgot to turn off filevault before erase my hard drive

I’ll done all the preparation before trade in of my MacBook Pro but I realized I forgot to unlock and turn off my FileVault. What should I do? Can I just go ahead to send the trade in kit?

Posted on Sep 28, 2019 11:22 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 28, 2019 11:52 AM

If you are providing the Admin password, it's a don't care.

They will re-install whatever they want to have on it. That would be slightly easier if you did a new ERASE of the ENTIRE Device, by immutable device-name (not just the MacOS Volume) taking care to turn OFF FileVault, and then did a new Install.

What you should NOT do is:

Disable FileVault.

Changing the setting takes only a moment. However every block on the disk must be read using on-the-fly decryption, then re-written without encryption. It can literally take days.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 28, 2019 11:52 AM in response to xiaoya93

If you are providing the Admin password, it's a don't care.

They will re-install whatever they want to have on it. That would be slightly easier if you did a new ERASE of the ENTIRE Device, by immutable device-name (not just the MacOS Volume) taking care to turn OFF FileVault, and then did a new Install.

What you should NOT do is:

Disable FileVault.

Changing the setting takes only a moment. However every block on the disk must be read using on-the-fly decryption, then re-written without encryption. It can literally take days.

I forgot to turn off filevault before erase my hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.