You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrading RAM and drive in mid-2012 15-in MacBook Pro (non-retina)

My mid-2012 15-inch MacBook Pro (non-Retina) has become dead slow. I'm wondering if upgrading RAM and/or drive will help. Current configuration is 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7, 8 GB RAM, 750 GB Apple HDD, roughly 2/3 full. I'm seeing memory upgrade kits for 16 GB RAM, but Apple states this machine can only go up to 8GB. The drive is big enough, but I'm wondering if an SSD will help with speed, as well. Any suggestions on either score?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Sep 30, 2019 9:19 AM

3 replies

Sep 30, 2019 2:56 PM in response to Joe_A_E

Here are the specs for your device:

https://everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/specs/macbook-pro-core-i7-2.6-15-mid-2012-unibody-usb3-specs.html

If you have the default hard drive, it is an abysmally slow 5400 rpm drive which is about 33% slower than a desktop 7200 rpm drive. So, a 7200 rpm would be some improvement; and an SSD will blow it away. Check OWC as already suggested. RAM will also help, but even with more RAM, a 5400 rpm drive will do everything - read/write - in slow motion.

Upgrading RAM and drive in mid-2012 15-in MacBook Pro (non-retina)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.