You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Updating from 11 to 13

Can I update my iPhone 6s from iOS 11 to iOS 13 directly or should I update to iOS 12 first? And I wonder if iOS 13 will slow my 6s down.... I am cautious because the buggy iOS 12 update bricked my father's iPhone.

iPhone 6s

Posted on Oct 1, 2019 12:04 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2019 12:27 PM

I suggest you Google iOS 13, 13.1, 13.1.1, 13.1.2 so you have an idea of what the changes are before you update. I don't know of any specific issues upgrading from iOS 11.

Also regarding Reminders, when you upgrade to iOS 13 and open Reminders for the first time, please read the warning about upgrading Reminders and how doing so will not allow syncing with Macs that are not running macOS Catalina and iPads not running iPadOS. You will see two options to choose from. Tap Upgrade Later so that you can continue to sync with other Apple devices.

Look through this forum for various issues people who have upgraded have been having with text message, WiFi connections, Auto Dark Mode, update still running for several hours, etc.

Personally, I have had no issues with the current version of iOS 13 (13.1.2) on my iPhone XS.

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 1, 2019 12:27 PM in response to manitou22

I suggest you Google iOS 13, 13.1, 13.1.1, 13.1.2 so you have an idea of what the changes are before you update. I don't know of any specific issues upgrading from iOS 11.

Also regarding Reminders, when you upgrade to iOS 13 and open Reminders for the first time, please read the warning about upgrading Reminders and how doing so will not allow syncing with Macs that are not running macOS Catalina and iPads not running iPadOS. You will see two options to choose from. Tap Upgrade Later so that you can continue to sync with other Apple devices.

Look through this forum for various issues people who have upgraded have been having with text message, WiFi connections, Auto Dark Mode, update still running for several hours, etc.

Personally, I have had no issues with the current version of iOS 13 (13.1.2) on my iPhone XS.

Oct 1, 2019 12:17 PM in response to manitou22

Backup your phone first.

If you have Settings / General / Software Update / Automatic Updates turned on then you should automatically get the update. You might have to answer a prompt to continue with the update.

You can also update via iTunes by plugging in your phone and selecting the Update button in iTunes when you see your phone. I always update via iTunes.

Updating from 11 to 13

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.