You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos and Extensions

Seems there might be a bug in Photos in that when I edit in an Extension I cannot save the edited image back to Photos. Is this a known bug Catalina side or is not just a compatibility thing with the apps needing to be updated. I have experienced it with the Affinity Photo and Luminar extensions.

Posted on Oct 7, 2019 12:14 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2019 9:44 PM

Having the same issue. The "quick edit" Affinity 1.7.x extensions all work, but roundtrips edits using the "Edit in Affinity Photo" or "Luminar 3" are broken. Unchecking, the resetting the extensions in the Extension Manager, and/or doing the same in System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Photos section makes no difference.

The issue has already been reported in the Serif Labs (Affinity) forums. It's a shame these rather "obvious" functions don't seem to be given proper attention during the beta testing periods.

There are SO many other issues with Catalina (and Mojave) Photos & iOS 13.1.x compatibility. May take a while to all get sorted out.

12 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 7, 2019 9:44 PM in response to CGrnt

Having the same issue. The "quick edit" Affinity 1.7.x extensions all work, but roundtrips edits using the "Edit in Affinity Photo" or "Luminar 3" are broken. Unchecking, the resetting the extensions in the Extension Manager, and/or doing the same in System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Photos section makes no difference.

The issue has already been reported in the Serif Labs (Affinity) forums. It's a shame these rather "obvious" functions don't seem to be given proper attention during the beta testing periods.

There are SO many other issues with Catalina (and Mojave) Photos & iOS 13.1.x compatibility. May take a while to all get sorted out.

Nov 17, 2019 9:56 AM in response to léonie

My issue is with Affinity Photo. f I want to 'edit in Affinity Photos' rather than pick one of the in-built affinity filters, then when I quit affinity photo to save I get the imageI'm posting here. And that image comes up after one that you click away that says something about the edit having reached the maximum size and will flattened, the you have option to ok that but then it crashes

Oct 7, 2019 3:26 PM in response to CGrnt

I am having the same version of Affinity Photos.

When I am using the Affinity Haze removal extension and click "Save Changes" the edited image will appear instantly in Photos.

Did you run Affinity as a stand alone application after you updated to 1.7.3? Affinity may need to install an update to the extensions.

Oct 7, 2019 3:31 PM in response to CGrnt

What happens is when I save and close the image in Affinity it shows in Photos but when I try and save it in Photos it gives me the cannot save error. As this is out of the App Store I am sure it won't be able to take on updates - they too have to come via the store. I am not running the smaller Affinity extensions like Haze Removal - I am using AP as the extension.

Photos and Extensions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.