You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need help getting back erased phone content

Why did my iPhone8 get completely erased when I turned off find my iPhone using my computer? How can I get the information back? I haven’t backed up my phone for a while.

iPhone 8

Posted on Oct 8, 2019 5:39 PM

5 replies

Oct 9, 2019 2:06 AM in response to Lyssa

Hi Lyssa, thank you for responding. Yes, it did go to the Hello screen. My son was not able to turn off find my iPhone on his phone, so I told him to go to the iCloud using his computer to do it. He didn’t see anything to turn off the iPhone 8, he thought erase would do it, but it actually erased everything on his phone.

Was that bad advice to try to turn off using the computer? I tried it too and also didn’t see a place for turn off, so I would have probably done the same. Asurion was forcing us to turn off find my iPhone before we could proceed with warranty.

So, absolutely no way to retrieve data? I read different data recovery apps promoting data retrieval. Do you know if they legit or a fraud?

Need help getting back erased phone content

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.