You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Failed to create bootable Catalina USB in Mojave

Based on https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372 I tried twice but both also failed at 100% with the following error:

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Catalina.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Catalina 

Password:

Ready to start.

To continue we need to erase the volume at /Volumes/Catalina.

If you wish to continue type (Y) then press return: y

Erasing disk: 0%... 10%... 20%... 30%... 100%

Copying to disk: 0%... 10%... 20%... 30%... 40%... 50%... 60%... 70%... 80%... 90%...

Error: Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=512 "“InstallESD.dmg” couldn’t be copied to “SharedSupport”." UserInfo={NSSourceFilePathErrorKey=/Applications/Install macOS Catalina.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg, NSUserStringVariant=(

Copy

), NSDestinationFilePath=/Volumes/Install macOS Catalina/Install macOS Catalina.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg, NSFilePath=/Applications/Install macOS Catalina.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg, NSUnderlyingError=0x7fa9a35bddc0 {Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=34 "Result too large"}}The copy of the installer app failed

What went wrong ?

For the past, I've been using https://diskmakerx.com to create bootable USB without any issue. This time around, DiskMakerX still have not release support for Catalina, thus I have to make use of command line.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Oct 9, 2019 6:13 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 12, 2019 3:19 AM

Catalina apparently requires a 16GB USB drive - previous versions would fit on an 8GB drive.

Similar questions

2 replies

Failed to create bootable Catalina USB in Mojave

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.