You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to assign an app to a desktop with multiple displays

This should be simple enough but it seems all apps don't work the same, unless I'm missing something.

• I have 3 monitors on my Mac mini.
  • I have multiple desktops on each monitor
  • I want to assign an app to a particular desktop on a specific monitor

Outlook seemed to work, but I don't know how I did it. See screenshot "Desktop 4 on Display 1"

Mac Mail does not. It only allows me to pick a display. See Screenshot "Desktop on Display 2"

I want bot mail apps on Display 2 but different desktops. So I dragged Outlook over, and now all I get is the same "Desktop on Display 2" option.

How do you assign apps to specific desktops on specific monitors? It doesn't seem as simple as right-clicking on the dock

Posted on Oct 11, 2019 7:00 AM

Similar questions

2 replies

Oct 15, 2019 7:19 PM in response to 1shaunp1

Good afternoon chicagofilms,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

I understand you want to control the apps that you have in multiple spaces on your Mac. The Mission Control app would be the best way to configure your apps and windows. I've highlighted some key information here for you. Click on the link for complete details.

macOS User Guide - macOS Catalina 10.15 - Work in multiple spaces on Mac

"Assign apps to spaces

If you assign an app (or System Preferences) to a specific space, the app will always open in that space.

1. On your Mac, press and hold an app’s icon in the Dock
  2. You may need to first open the app to see its icon in the Dock.
  3. From the shortcut menu that appears, choose Options, then choose one of the following:
    • All Desktops: The app opens in every space.
    • This Desktop: The app opens only in the current space. If you use the app full screen, it appears in its own space.
    • Desktop on Display [number]The app opens in the current space on a specific display (if more than one display is available).
    • None: The app opens in whichever space you’re using at the time.

By default, when switching to an app, the desktop automatically switches to a space that has open windows for the app. For example, if you create a new TextEdit document in Desktop 3, but TextEdit windows are already open in Desktop 2, your new document opens in Desktop 2. To change this setting, choose Apple menu > System Preferences, click Mission Control, then deselect the checkbox for switching."

Take care.

Oct 16, 2019 2:54 PM in response to sterling r

I appreciate the help, but I know how to do all of that already.

My issue is I do not have the option "Desktop on Display [number]The app opens in the current space on a specific display (if more than one display is available)."

I only have that option for Outlook. No other apps give that option.

Every other app just gives this & not the "Desktop on display#" option

How to assign an app to a desktop with multiple displays

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.