You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HP printers not compatible

I just went through hours of getting a new HP printer downloaded on my Mac. When contacting HP to download software I got the message that HP 'doesn't support this operating system'. I called apple support and they told me to call HP. HP told me that they were waiting on Apple for the software. Until then, they were able to remotely set up the printer so I can print and scan. Though there are still some issues, I can do the basics until software is available. Has anyone else hit this issue? When I called Apple, why couldn't he tell me that the printer wouldn't be compatible?

Posted on Oct 11, 2019 1:58 PM

4 replies

Oct 11, 2019 2:39 PM in response to ankunger

We are users like you. We are not privy to business to business contracts or agreements. But in general HP is in the business of selling printers. They also produce software drivers to make the printers work with the many OS versions out in the market, Windows, Linus, MacOS, ...

Before a company like Apple releases a major upgrade like a new operating system they advise all affected parties. If the affected parties want their product to continue working on the new platform they develop and release upgrades for their products.

Oct 11, 2019 3:07 PM in response to ankunger

ankunger wrote:

Out of being curious, how do these guys work together? Apple has this upgrade where they know it will not be compatible with certain software. I received the message regarding Micro Soft programs but heard nothing regarding printers. It seems to me the consumer gets the brunt of things.

In no particular order...

HP designs and builds and sells those printers and scanners, and writes the software for HP products.

They have a vast and ever-changing collection of models of printers and scanners.

And a staggering number of drivers and apps across all those permutations.

Some of these devices will invariably age out with new Apple macOS or Microsoft Windows updates, too.

This isn’t specific to HP. Devices from all vendors age out, including devices and systems from Apple itself.

Apple provides early copies of new versions of macOS, iOS, and iPadOS for developers and vendors to work with and test with.

Apple has been pushing AirPrint and IPP/IPPS printing access as means of avoiding the need for add-on vendor-specific drivers.

As for Microsoft, Office 2016, Office 2019, and Office 365 should all work, if they’re patched to current.

Earlier Office versions do not, and there are other known issues with earlier Office versions on earlier macOS releases.

I’ve switched to Brother printers and scanners, and no longer run HP printers as they have aged out.

HP printers not compatible

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.