You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB 3 Camera Adapter not able to see USB drive

I just bought an apple USB 3 Camera Adapter and can not get it to read a USB drive. I thought you could do this in IOS 13. Does anyone know how to make this work. As soon as I plugged it in to my iPhone it did an accessory update. The USB drive does not show up in the files app. I am running IOS 13.1.2 on an iPhone 8 Plus 64gb.

Posted on Oct 12, 2019 4:11 PM

6 replies

Oct 13, 2019 4:38 AM in response to BigMaynard

Ok, so i also bought a USB 3 (lightning) adaptor for an iPad mini 5 and it either gave me a message about not enough power or just did nothing. So i included a powered USB hub between the adapter and the drive and it worked with most drivers. What i didn't know until today is that if you use a higher wattage power supply into the adaptor (12w) it works without the need of the powered hub!

The wattage going into the adaptor makes a difference!

Oct 13, 2019 8:15 AM in response to Lyssa

Thanks for your reply. Yes, it is the new adapter with the USB port and power port. I am using the power adapter with it as well. The basic problem is that the phone does not see the USB stick when I plug it into the adapter. Therefore I can not transfer any files to or from the phone. I was wondering if there is something additional that has to be done to make this work. Most of what I have seen on the web is that you just plug it in and it works. I’m not sure where to go from here.

Oct 14, 2019 2:01 PM in response to BigMaynard

Have a look at the wattage of the power you are plugging into the dongle (USB3Lightning). It makes a difference. Try increasing the power (eg. use an iPad charger).

Also, iOS13 doesn't give enough feedback, which also makes it hard to diagnose. I had a number of drives that were suffering from a lack of power, however it didn't give me a message for all of them - yet they all worked after the power was increased (nb. that doesn't mean all drives will work - just mine). Gook luck.

USB 3 Camera Adapter not able to see USB drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.