You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos - Been in the following state for 48 hours "Updating People.... People will finish updating when Photos is in the background". How to resolve?

Running Photos on macOS Catalina on MBPro 2016, I have had the following message for the past 48 hours: "Updating People.... People will finish updating when Photos is in the background". I need to re-tag some of my pictures which were mis-identified, but seem stuck with the above message. How do I solve?

Posted on Oct 16, 2019 10:50 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 17, 2019 11:44 AM

My photos library has less photos than yours, only 53000 photos and videos, but still it took Photos more than two weeks to finish the the scan for faces and to recognize all all objects in the scene after each major upgrade of the system. Particularly scanning the videos for faces takes a very long time. I let Photos do its thing, as long as I am seeing some progress.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 17, 2019 11:44 AM in response to plamy-mtv

My photos library has less photos than yours, only 53000 photos and videos, but still it took Photos more than two weeks to finish the the scan for faces and to recognize all all objects in the scene after each major upgrade of the system. Particularly scanning the videos for faces takes a very long time. I let Photos do its thing, as long as I am seeing some progress.

Oct 16, 2019 11:58 AM in response to plamy-mtv

Is there also a button "open People album" in this panel? If yes, click it. If not, you will have to wait for the faces scan to finish. It may take a few days for a large library. Do as Phots says "People will finish updating when Photos is in the background" - minimize Photos to the Dock overnight, while you are not working with your Mac, but keep the Mac connected to power and he internet.

Oct 17, 2019 11:29 AM in response to léonie

Thanks leonie. I don't seem to locate an "open People album" button when I run Photos on my MacBook Pro. While I am aware that it is a compute intensive task to consolidate faces, my MBPro is pretty powerful and has plenty of memory. It still seems to me that it takes Photos an incredible amount of time to do the work. I admit that my library is huge (70K pictures), but I regularly tag People in Photos since I started using the App (several years ago) and this time around, it appears that Photos is somehow "spinning" indefinitely. Once a week has passed running Photos in the background, I will get really worried.

Photos - Been in the following state for 48 hours "Updating People.... People will finish updating when Photos is in the background". How to resolve?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.