You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture migration to Photos crash

When migrating my Aperture library to Photos, the app crashes after 5% done. I'm stuck there. I tried to repair authorizations in Terminal but no success, Photo crashes after 5% done... Is there a solution? My Aperture library has 43,000 photos.

MacBook Air

Posted on Oct 16, 2019 2:58 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 22, 2019 3:58 PM

My library had 225 Gigs and my MacBook Air had only 160 gigs spare so I moved the Aperture library to my MacMini witch had 700 gigs spare and I repaired permissions in Terminal. Finally, everything went fine. Thank-you so much for your help. It seems that if your Aperture library is located on an external drive, you're heading into problems.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 22, 2019 3:58 PM in response to MichelleT18

My library had 225 Gigs and my MacBook Air had only 160 gigs spare so I moved the Aperture library to my MacMini witch had 700 gigs spare and I repaired permissions in Terminal. Finally, everything went fine. Thank-you so much for your help. It seems that if your Aperture library is located on an external drive, you're heading into problems.

Oct 22, 2019 1:36 PM in response to Normand Despins

Hi Normand,

It sounds like you're having trouble migrating your library to Photos, and I want to help.

Which version of macOS are you currently running?

Here are the steps for importing to Photos:

Migrate Aperture libraries to the Photos app or Adobe Lightroom Classic - Apple Support

If it's stopping consistently in the same place it could be the content itself, a particular photo or video, causing the issue.

Let me know more about what's happening and I'll try to help.

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

Nov 4, 2019 8:16 AM in response to DavidDowell

Maybe it's a permission problem? Try this trick: https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT209594 . When done, try to repair your home folder permissions. For me, that was THE KEY to resolve my issue. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203538 . I had a 225 Gigs Aperture library that crashed during migration. The diskutil trick resolved my problem.

Nov 3, 2019 10:23 PM in response to MichelleT18

I have this problem too.

~ 36,000 photos in Aperture.

I followed the recommended Apple procedure and created previews of all photos in Aperture after setting preferences to allow high quality previews.

import to Photos crashes consistently at about 74% done.

Have tried about 5 times. most recent try was just after I rebooted iMac to clear out all else going on.

??

Aperture migration to Photos crash

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.