You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Display Titles in Photos 5.0

The new display formats in Photos 5.0 (Years/Months/Days) seem to absolutely eliminate the possibility of displaying each photo's title. The "All Photos" display allows room, but I cannot find a way to display the titles below each photo on that display either. I know that I can open the Information window and enter a title there, but that method is utterly laborious when first entering three or four hundred new titles.

Is there a way to set Photos 5.0 to automatically display titles? I have more than 70,000 photos that are all arranged by their titles. But since upgrading to 5.0 adding titles has become very difficult. Suggestions? (And thank you.)

Posted on Oct 21, 2019 7:44 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 21, 2019 7:57 AM

It seems to be a bug, that the titles are not visible in The All Photos view. Just wait for a bug fix.

But you can see the titles in any album you create or in any smart album.

As a work-around, create your own All Photos album:

• File > New Smart Album.
  • Set the rule "date is before 1.1.4000". This album should be showing all items in your library, sorted by the capture date. You will see the titles below the thumbnails, if you enable "View > Metadata > Titles".

Photos on Catalina has currently also the bug, that smart albums can no longer be sorted by the title. So add the photos from your custom all Photos album to a standard album, if you need to sort them by the titles.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 21, 2019 7:57 AM in response to pastorron

It seems to be a bug, that the titles are not visible in The All Photos view. Just wait for a bug fix.

But you can see the titles in any album you create or in any smart album.

As a work-around, create your own All Photos album:

• File > New Smart Album.
  • Set the rule "date is before 1.1.4000". This album should be showing all items in your library, sorted by the capture date. You will see the titles below the thumbnails, if you enable "View > Metadata > Titles".

Photos on Catalina has currently also the bug, that smart albums can no longer be sorted by the title. So add the photos from your custom all Photos album to a standard album, if you need to sort them by the titles.

Display Titles in Photos 5.0

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.