You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Catalina upgrade lost IMG and photo titles in Photos

After upgrading to Catalina on my MacBook I no longer have the IMG or photo title names in ALL PHOTOS. When calling Apple support they told me I have to click on the Photo and click on Information to get IMG or Title. How do I get these IMG and photo titles to display? I download about 100 photos at a time and then order photos, also I make duplicates and title the duplicates. I cannot take the time to highlight each photo and click on information each time I want to the title.

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Oct 22, 2019 4:34 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 22, 2019 5:02 AM

Wait for an update. This seems to be a bug in the first version of Photos 5.0.

I am using a smart album as a work-around while we are waiting for a bug fix. The titles are shown in smart albums, if the option "View > Metadata > Titles" is enabled.

Try the following:

• File > New smart albums. Name the new album "My All Photos" or similar.
  • Set the smart rule to "Date Captured is before 1.1.4000"

Click the new smart album in the sidebar. You should be seeing all photos and videos in this smart album, sorted by the capture date.

Any standard album should also be sowing the titles. should also be showing the titles. If you want to see the titles for the most recently imported photos, select them all at once in the Imports album and drag them to the sidebar to create a new album. In this album you can focus on your most recent Import while working with the titles and captions. Standard albums created this way can be sorted by the titles.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 22, 2019 5:02 AM in response to carlinvail

Wait for an update. This seems to be a bug in the first version of Photos 5.0.

I am using a smart album as a work-around while we are waiting for a bug fix. The titles are shown in smart albums, if the option "View > Metadata > Titles" is enabled.

Try the following:

• File > New smart albums. Name the new album "My All Photos" or similar.
  • Set the smart rule to "Date Captured is before 1.1.4000"

Click the new smart album in the sidebar. You should be seeing all photos and videos in this smart album, sorted by the capture date.

Any standard album should also be sowing the titles. should also be showing the titles. If you want to see the titles for the most recently imported photos, select them all at once in the Imports album and drag them to the sidebar to create a new album. In this album you can focus on your most recent Import while working with the titles and captions. Standard albums created this way can be sorted by the titles.

Catalina upgrade lost IMG and photo titles in Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.