You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Getting photos after update

I updated to Catalina and assumed all my photos would in iPhoto and Aperture would still be available to me. I am now unable to access them and I need some of them by 10/24/19. When I open Photos, it does not give me the option to open Aperture as noted. Can I uninstall Catalina? Can you tell me how to send Aperture and iPhoto pictures to Photos?

Posted on Oct 23, 2019 10:33 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 24, 2019 12:58 AM

Photos should be able to open the Aperture Library, but not the Aperture.app. Aperture is incompatible with Catalina. the same goes for iPhoto.

Select the Aperture Library in the Finder, ctrl-click or right-click it, then use the command "Open in Photos".

Or hold down the options key ⌥ while launching Photos, Keep holding down ⌥ until the Library Chooser dialog appears.

But your Aperture library needs to be stored on a volume, that is compatible with Photos, or Photos cannot open it. Where is the Aperture Library stored?

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 24, 2019 12:58 AM in response to etfitz

Photos should be able to open the Aperture Library, but not the Aperture.app. Aperture is incompatible with Catalina. the same goes for iPhoto.

Select the Aperture Library in the Finder, ctrl-click or right-click it, then use the command "Open in Photos".

Or hold down the options key ⌥ while launching Photos, Keep holding down ⌥ until the Library Chooser dialog appears.

But your Aperture library needs to be stored on a volume, that is compatible with Photos, or Photos cannot open it. Where is the Aperture Library stored?

Getting photos after update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.