You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini (Late 2012) cannot connect to the internet via ethernet

Last week we were having issues with our Optimum provided router and we had it replaced with a Sagemcom F@st 5260CV. My Mac Mini was connected to it via Ethernet whereas all other devices are wireless and until yesterday we have had no further issues.

The problems started when I had to move the location of our router to another room. Since doing this, WiFi has continued to work without issue but I have been unable to obtain an internet connection via ethernet on the Mini.

There seems to be a working ethernet connection as I use my Mini headless and connect to it via the app Screens Connect, I am still able to access it when WiFi is disabled. Also, the ethernet cable connector on the Router displays an active green LED.

Things I have troubleshooted:

• Restarting modem & router
  • Restarting Mac Mini
  • Replacing ethernet cable
  • Trying all other ethernet ports
  • Clearing browser history and restarting Mac (something Optimum suggested but why I know not)
  • Renewing DHCP license (should I be provided with new IP? If so, it doesn't seem to do it)
  • System Preferences > Network > Click the lock to authenticate > Location: > Edit Locations... > Click [+] > Name it "New Location" > Click "Done" > Click "Apply
  • In Terminal I have tried to ping google.com and my IP address to no avail (ping: cannot resolve google.com unknown host / Request timeout for icmp_seq 0)

My Mac mini (Late 2012) is running macOS 10.13.6. I am in process of doing a MacOS update to see if that has become an issue. Otherwise I am stuck. Optimum have said there is no issue with the router but they have come to this conclusion without troubleshooting it. Crazy Optimum.

Fortunately, I have the WiFi working so it isn't the be all end all. But I use the Mac Mini as a media center and the WiFi can be unreliable so I would really like to sort out this ethernet issue. Any advice will be appreciated, thanking you.

Mac mini, macOS 10.13

Posted on Oct 24, 2019 8:18 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 24, 2019 9:10 AM

Actually the problem was definitely the router. Optimum just reset everything their end and now is all working. Sorry for the trouble but thank you for your input. Much appreciated and have a nice day.

Similar questions

7 replies

Oct 24, 2019 8:52 AM in response to hcsitas

Since typing this out I remembered the Apple TV has ethernet so I have tried connecting that and that won't connect to the internet either. Therefore must be another issue with the router.

But in answer to your question, both ethernet cables are Cat7. One is a ft long whereas the other is 30 ft long. There are no switches in between.

Oct 24, 2019 5:27 PM in response to hcsitas

hcsitas wrote:

Avoid Netgear.

What makes you say that?

I have a Netgear gateway modem/router at one end of the house.

70' of Cat6 cable that goes under the house and up into the first Netgear switch.

That first switch has 2 computers and a 30' Cat 6 cable that goes to a second Netgear switch.

The second Netgear switch supplies ethernet to a third computer, an OOMA and a game box in another room.

All of the computers including the one connected to the second Netgear switch are getting the original 100Mbps service.

FWIW I bought the Netgear gateway modem/router to eliminate the monthly Comcast gateway rental cost and it has paid for itself 10 fold.

Mac Mini (Late 2012) cannot connect to the internet via ethernet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.