You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Which MacBook supports external microphone?

I have a MacBook Air (2014 model) and I am trying to use an external microphone for recording, but it seems it does not support external microphone. I tested with my friend's MacBook Pro (2019 model) and the external mic works pretty well. So, I would like to ask which MacBooks support external microphone and which supports headphone only?

MacBook Pro 13”, macOS 10.14

Posted on Oct 24, 2019 8:51 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 24, 2019 9:55 PM

About the only avenues to audio in would be USB ports, or maybe Thunderbolt ports;

some brands of USB microphones were available some years ago; haven't kept up on

what their direction was so could be obsoleted now.

There are two built-in microphones in the 2014 MacBook Air according to MacTracker.

{..A third-party item by name of iMic was available, from Belkin; used a USB port..}

But no mention otherwise, of microphones; at least not in their database application.

However the official Apple product information may disclose a little more.

MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2014) - Technical Specifications

https://support.apple.com/kb/SP700?locale=en_US

Other database may be searchable for more info in this matter. ~ Takes time, is all.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 24, 2019 9:55 PM in response to Lilyguo

About the only avenues to audio in would be USB ports, or maybe Thunderbolt ports;

some brands of USB microphones were available some years ago; haven't kept up on

what their direction was so could be obsoleted now.

There are two built-in microphones in the 2014 MacBook Air according to MacTracker.

{..A third-party item by name of iMic was available, from Belkin; used a USB port..}

But no mention otherwise, of microphones; at least not in their database application.

However the official Apple product information may disclose a little more.

MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2014) - Technical Specifications

https://support.apple.com/kb/SP700?locale=en_US

Other database may be searchable for more info in this matter. ~ Takes time, is all.

Which MacBook supports external microphone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.