You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple introduces powerful new iPad mini built for Apple Intelligence. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Movies won't play; used to play fine.

On the iPad, which is totally up to date, I am using the TV app and the list of movies to play have an indicator on the right side of the screen. If the indicator is a vertical rectangle with a check mark inside, the video plays fine. If the indicator is a right arrow; it will move to the video and immediately move back. Many of these videos have been in my library for years and I can't figure out how some work and some don't. I tried converting some of them, which were in the .m4v format to .mov, and that didn't help.

These are things that I have pulled off of television, using an Eye 3 system so I can put cartoons and even commercials on the iPad for my grand-daughter.

iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi

Posted on Oct 27, 2019 7:31 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 27, 2019 6:03 PM

I discovered a solution. I looked at two videos; one that worked and one that didn't, and I found that the file types were a little different, even though both m4v. The working one listed AAC and H.264. I have a program called Movavi Video Converter and had it convert the non-playing video to an Apple iPad version, which listed both AAC and H.264. Once it did that, the new video now works. I don't know all of the ins and outs, but so far that is working. Thanks for anyone who tried to help.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 27, 2019 6:03 PM in response to QuickPost

I discovered a solution. I looked at two videos; one that worked and one that didn't, and I found that the file types were a little different, even though both m4v. The working one listed AAC and H.264. I have a program called Movavi Video Converter and had it convert the non-playing video to an Apple iPad version, which listed both AAC and H.264. Once it did that, the new video now works. I don't know all of the ins and outs, but so far that is working. Thanks for anyone who tried to help.

iPad Movies won't play; used to play fine.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.