You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Internal keyboard and trackpad not working (most of the time)

Hello,

Since a week or so, I have a problem with my MacBook:

Sometimes when I try to fill in my password, trackpad and internal keyboard doesn't work. External mouse and keyboards do work.

Also, sometimes when I am logged in though external keyboard, the mouse and keyboard start working. And sometimes they don't.

I tried a reinstall though the internet (download new OSX). I tried updating the OS. I tried disabling fire vault. I tried the reset thing using: CTRL-SHIFT-F-P thing (not sure if it was this command).

Nothing seems to work. Any suggestions?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015) 2,7 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3 Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB

Posted on Oct 29, 2019 6:32 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 29, 2019 12:31 PM

You have some sort of hardware issue. I'm currently working on four laptops identical to yours for the same problem with no solution for any of them since the problem is hard to reproduce reliably. There are several parts which could be the source of the problem.

FYI, it appears the Keyboard and Trackpad are somehow linked together even though both parts connect to the Logic Board independently. So if one part has a problem, both parts end up not working. I've only seen this behavior on the 2014 + 2015 MBPro models.

There is a possibility a swollen battery could cause these problems.

You should have Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider examine your laptop.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 29, 2019 12:31 PM in response to mick6845

You have some sort of hardware issue. I'm currently working on four laptops identical to yours for the same problem with no solution for any of them since the problem is hard to reproduce reliably. There are several parts which could be the source of the problem.

FYI, it appears the Keyboard and Trackpad are somehow linked together even though both parts connect to the Logic Board independently. So if one part has a problem, both parts end up not working. I've only seen this behavior on the 2014 + 2015 MBPro models.

There is a possibility a swollen battery could cause these problems.

You should have Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider examine your laptop.

Internal keyboard and trackpad not working (most of the time)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.