You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My USB keyboard is not working when plugged into new iMac after Catalina update. Restarting doesn't help.

My USB keyboard is not working when plugged into new iMac after Catalina update. Restarting doesn't help.

iMac 27", macOS 10.13

Posted on Oct 30, 2019 11:28 AM

12 replies

Oct 30, 2019 1:20 PM in response to berkeleyca

Is the keyboard plugged directly into the USB port on the back of the iMac, or is it plugged into a USB hub? Do you have any other USB devices plugged into the USB ports? If you do, disconnect all other USB devices besides the keyboard and mouse and then reboot the iMac.

What type of mouse do you have? Is it USB or wireless? Is it working OK? If it is, and your system boots to the desktop (i.e. no login issues) then pull down the Apple menu and select 'About This Mac', then click on the System Report button.

When you press the caps lock key on the keyboard does the LED light up? I am trying to find a way to confirm whether the iMac is recognizing that the keyboard is connected. On the left column of the window that appears click on USB, and then report what devices show up in the USB Device Tree list.

Oct 30, 2019 3:43 PM in response to berkeleyca

The ports work, the keyboard works but they don't work together. That's a new one.

All I can think of is the connector on the keyboard is deformed enough that it won't make correct contact in the ports but will in the monitor. So, as a workaround, get a short extension cable for USB and put it between the port and the keyboard. See if that will work.

Oct 30, 2019 4:03 PM in response to ProbsRus

The mouse is Apple bluetooth. It works fine. When plugged into the iMac the caplock key does not light up on the extended keyboard. Now the little keyboard works when plugged into the iMac but it is running off of bluetooth. This is what the device tree looks like:

USB 3.1 Bus:

Host Controller Driver: AppleIntelCNLUSBXHCI

PCI Device ID: 0xa36d 

PCI Revision ID: 0x0010 

PCI Vendor ID: 0x8086 

4-Port USB 3.0 Hub:

Product ID: 0x0409

Vendor ID: 0x0bda  (Realtek Semiconductor Corp.)

Version: 1.43

Speed: Up to 5 Gb/s

Manufacturer: Generic

Location ID: 0x14800000 / 2

Current Available (mA): 900

Current Required (mA): 0

Extra Operating Current (mA): 0

FaceTime HD Camera (Built-in):

Product ID: 0x8511

Vendor ID: 0x05ac (Apple Inc.)

Version: 72.52

Serial Number: CCG901500NFH34FF0

Speed: Up to 480 Mb/s

Manufacturer: Apple Inc.

Location ID: 0x14600000 / 1

Current Available (mA): 500

Current Required (mA): 500

Built-In: Yes

4-Port USB 2.0 Hub:

Product ID: 0x5409

Vendor ID: 0x0bda  (Realtek Semiconductor Corp.)

Version: 1.43

Manufacturer: Generic

Location ID: 0x14400000 / 3

Current Required (mA): 0

USB-C to HDMI adapter:

Product ID: 0x038c

Vendor ID: 0x050d  (Belkin Corporation)

Version: 6.45

Serial Number: 0000090f6bb5

Speed: Up to 12 Mb/s

Manufacturer: Belkin

Location ID: 0x14200000 / 5

Current Required (mA): 100

HP Color LaserJet MFP M277dw:

Product ID: 0x3b2a

Vendor ID: 0x03f0  (Hewlett Packard)

Version: 1.00

Serial Number:XXXXXXX

Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard

Location ID: 0x14100000 / 4

Current Required (mA): 2

Oct 30, 2019 4:18 PM in response to berkeleyca

Since you have a USB-C to HDMI adapter I can safely assume that you have a recent model iMac (2015 or 2017). You have an older USB 2.0 hub attached, in addition to the USB 3.0 hub, printer, etc.

Were you able to try my earlier suggestion of disconnecting all USB (and USB-C) devices and leave only the keyboard attached, then reboot the iMac? I am trying to determine whether you have an issue related to the other USB devices/hubs that are also attached. You should try this with both keyboards.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.