You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Catalina Crashing

I have a MacBookPro 13inch 2016 running Catalina 10.15.1. Since updating my computer keeps rebooting every 30min or so. I've pulled all peripherals to make sure its not them thats causing it but its still doing it.

Not sure what to do.

My Hardware:

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro13,2

Processor Name: Dual-Core Intel Core i5

Processor Speed: 2.9 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 2

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 4 MB

Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled

Memory: 8 GB

Boot ROM Version: 262.0.0.0.0

SMC Version (system): 2.37f21

Serial Number (system): C0***TFJ

Hardware UUID: F62829FB-070C-5BC5-8583-20B2E355F5DE

Apple we need you to address urgently.

[Personal Information Edited by Moderator]

Posted on Nov 2, 2019 4:20 PM

3 replies

Nov 7, 2019 7:18 AM in response to Azurirurez

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities, Nitram@Blue!

It sounds like you're having an issue with your Mac restarting randomly since installing Catalina. Check out this article with additional steps to try If your Mac restarted because of a problem. This article will give you the best steps to take for issue with your Mac restarting.

Let me know the results and take care!

Nov 7, 2019 10:55 PM in response to ryane77

I've spoke to Tech support several times now and we have tried all the things you talk about in your link. It all started after I installed the latest update. I was already running Catalina, it was just the most recent update that caused the problem. I've re-installed the OS already and my MacBook is as I purchased it i.e. no changes. I've disconnected everything and removed all software that shows it as no longer compatible and needs updating, but it just continues to randomly re-boot. Its happens 5 times in the last hour. What do I do suggest I do next?

Nov 12, 2019 5:10 PM in response to Azurirurez

Ok Apple I think I found the bug for you. After trying everything and not resolving the issue I found this. One thing I noticed after the update is that my TimeMachine backup no longer worked and I reported this to the Apple Tech when I visited him but it didn't ring any bells for him. So my last resort was to wipe the Hard Drive and start again. So when I got back I decided to make a fresh backup but instead of using my NAS drive I connected and external SSD and did the back up OK. Here's the Eureka moment. My PC has not Rebooted ever since! So I think there is an issue with how Time Machine backs up between upgrades. Maybe it had only completed a partial back up at the time I did the update which somehow broke it and caused the Reboots. Making a fresh back appears to have fixed the issue and I can report no re-boots in the last two days.

Catalina Crashing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.