You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Media Kind" -> "audiobook" is no longer an option? Music 1.0.0

When I borrow an audiobook from the library, it often comes on cds. My normal process for this is to load the cds onto my computer, change the "media type" to "audiobook" and then sync my iPhone so I can play the audiobook.

Normal Process:

load disc, import to iTunes

command-i to change information

options

media kind -> audiobook

With this upgrade (?) to "Music" instead of iTunes, I do not have any other media kinds in the option menu. How do I change my book from music to an audiobook?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Nov 4, 2019 12:57 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 4, 2019 2:20 PM

I requested a call from Apple. They were very helpful. The short answer is, you cannot change the media kind. There is not an easy way to do this. Here is the new process ... it's a ton of extra clicks and includes opening your entire iTunes library in Finder ...

1. In the Books app  on your Mac, choose File > Add to Library.
  2. In the Open dialog, select the books, audiobooks, or PDFs you want to import, then click Add.

https://support.apple.com/guide/books/import-books-audiobooks-or-pdfs-ibkseed72068/2.0/mac/10.15

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 4, 2019 2:20 PM in response to Esther Yunkin

I requested a call from Apple. They were very helpful. The short answer is, you cannot change the media kind. There is not an easy way to do this. Here is the new process ... it's a ton of extra clicks and includes opening your entire iTunes library in Finder ...

1. In the Books app  on your Mac, choose File > Add to Library.
  2. In the Open dialog, select the books, audiobooks, or PDFs you want to import, then click Add.

https://support.apple.com/guide/books/import-books-audiobooks-or-pdfs-ibkseed72068/2.0/mac/10.15

Nov 4, 2019 6:20 PM in response to Esther Yunkin

It works fine to listen on my Mac, but when I transfer to iPhone, it wants my audiobooks to be music. The fix? I use my Surface to organize the files. The option to change from music to audiobook is still available on the iTunes software on PC. I recently bought the MacBook Pro, but I'm regretting it. Organizing files, as in this case, is frustrating.

I had an iPad and iPhone, and thought taking the last step to a Mac computer would simplify things, but it hasn't. Things are much easier with the Surface, which I still have to use to get a lot of work done.

Good luck.

"Media Kind" -> "audiobook" is no longer an option? Music 1.0.0

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.