You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Font Book Migration?

I just discovered that when I used Migration Assistant, it didn't migrate the fonts in Font Book on my iMac to my MacBook Pro. How do I get the missing fonts copied over to the MBP? Can I use Font Book's add command for bulk transfer or is it just for individual fonts? I looked at the Export Collection command but that seems to be all fonts and I only need to migrate 357 fonts.

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Nov 6, 2019 10:58 AM

6 replies

Nov 6, 2019 2:48 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

Tom, the only problem is that the MacBook Pro came with 236 fonts, while the iMac has 594 fonts. I only want to copy the 358 fonts that are different. But you did give me an idea: I'll delete the 2 Font folders on the MBP, then d&d the same folders on the iMac into their appropriate locations on the MBP

Nov 7, 2019 12:28 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

What I actually ended up doing was to use the Export Collection feature in FontBook on the iMac. I then had two folders on the desktop: Computer and User. I next opened FontBook on the MacBook Pro and compared what it had under User with the exported User folder on the iMac desktop. If the font was in both, I deleted it from the exported folder, eventually leaving only fonts NOT on the MBP. I then had the MBP FontBook add the fonts from the folder on the iMac desktop. It did so, and identified one major corrupted font (which wasn't added). I did the same thing with the MBP Computer collection and the exported iMac Computer collection.

So both iMac & MBP basically have the same fonts on them now. I also compared the FontCollections folder on each computer and found one entry in the iMac folder that wasn't in the MBP folder; a drag & drop fixed that.

Font Book Migration?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.