You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

getting ms office to work after catalina upgrade

I recently upgraded to Catalina without first making sure I had the latest version of MS Office 2016, and now those apps will not work. Is there anyway to update Office 2016 after upgrade to Catalina? I know I can purchase Office 365 or Office 2019, but this is on a laptop I use infrequently.

MacBook

Posted on Nov 10, 2019 5:39 AM

1 reply

Nov 10, 2019 6:03 AM in response to stevekreis

Office 2008/2011 for Mac are 32-bit application suites. There is no update process for them as they are retired and unsupported by Microsoft, and not supported on Catalina. The current Office 365 subscription, and single-purchase Office 2019 for Mac are 64-bit Office suites and compatible with Catalina.

It is my understanding that Office 2016 for Mac and later are 64-bit applications, and if you haven't updated it for a long while, it may be 64-bit, but lacks the updates for Catalina compatibility. If it still works, you can try Microsoft AutoUpdate and see if that gets you to v16.30, but if it does not, then you will have to decide on the two current Microsoft choices from the first paragraph, or the alternative installation of the free, 64-bit LibreOffice suite, which would maintain document compatibility.

getting ms office to work after catalina upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.