You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Automatic login not working w/ catalina on iMac

Can’t get “automatic login” to work now that I have upgraded to Catalina. Have tried what is recommended in both the User & Groups and the Security & Privacy pages in System Preferences without success.

On the User & Groups page, my name is listed in the “automatic login” box, but whenever my iMac goes to sleep, it requires me to type in my password.

In the Security & Privacy section, whenever I try to uncheck the “Required password” option, a dialog box pops up asking me if I really want to turn it off. No matter which of the two options I select, it returns to the Security & Privacy page and nothing has changed. I also am unable to change the time requirement for auto login from “immediate”.

FWIW, I redid my keychain password to try to get rid of the recurring popup for AMPDeviceAgent. Not sure if I succeeded in doing that, or if that played a role in my login issue. Any help would be appreciated!

iMac 27", OS X 10.11

Posted on Nov 11, 2019 10:37 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 11, 2019 4:46 PM

Make sure this checkbox is unchecked in the System/Security & Privacy/General preference pane:

2 replies

Automatic login not working w/ catalina on iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.