You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sidecar showing blacks screen

This is both a question and solution.

I searched for questions about this problem but couldn't find any, so once I finally figured out a solution I thought I would share it.

I use Sidecar with my iPadPro and Mac (MBP 15 inch, 2018). It only works some of the time. When not working, the iPad has the sidebar with the keyboard and return, option, control etc icons but the rest of the iPad screen is black. I can drag windows onto this black space but because they aren't shown I can't get them back. This just proves that the MacOS thinks the display is there, but it doesn't actually show anything.

FIX: Once the iPad is connected using Sidecar, go to the Airplay icon (blue square) in the top menu bar and select "Mirror Built-in Retina Display". This causes the iPad to actually show something (a mirror of the MacOS screen), then go to the Airplay icon again but select "Use As Separate Display". Hey presto it works. Kind of annoying that I have to do this more than half the time to get it working!!!!

And sometimes it just goes black again, so I do my little 'mirror', 'separate display' and it works again.

MacBook Pro 15”, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 11, 2019 7:56 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 11, 2019 7:57 PM

Black screen, not blacks screen ... Typo.

Similar questions

1 reply

Sidecar showing blacks screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.