You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Missing File" in Photos After Deleting From Desktop

I downloaded images from Facebook and other websites to my desktop, and then imported those images into Photos (version 5.0). After importing, I deleted the images from my desktop.

When I try to open these images in Photos, I get a "Missing File" message: Photos with unavailable original files cannot be opened. The original photo “10494949_101539.jpg” is either offline or cannot be found. Click “Find Original” to reconnect.

I assumed the images would be stored in Photos. How can I delete images from my desktop after importing, or do I need to save these files in a folder somewhere (which seems duplicative)?

Posted on Nov 14, 2019 10:42 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 14, 2019 10:58 AM

You may want to check your Photos Preferences > General.

The photos will only be stored inside the Photos Library, if the option "Copy items to the Photos Library" is enabled. Otherwise Photos will reference the image files in their original locations.

If you imported items without the "Copy items to the Photos Library", you can use the command "File > Consolidate " for selected files to copy the originals into the library . After you consolidate them, you can delete the files outside the library.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 14, 2019 10:58 AM in response to dh615

You may want to check your Photos Preferences > General.

The photos will only be stored inside the Photos Library, if the option "Copy items to the Photos Library" is enabled. Otherwise Photos will reference the image files in their original locations.

If you imported items without the "Copy items to the Photos Library", you can use the command "File > Consolidate " for selected files to copy the originals into the library . After you consolidate them, you can delete the files outside the library.

"Missing File" in Photos After Deleting From Desktop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.