You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installed Catalina, now I can't open files. I checked permissions, I have read and write permission. Help!

After installing Catalina on my 2012 MacBook Pro 13", I cannot open files. I checked permissions and I have read and write permissions. So what is the problem?

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 16, 2019 5:03 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 17, 2019 7:41 AM

Try resetting permissions: Resolve issues caused by changing the permissions of items in your home folder - Apple Support

It could be something related to permissions, but not specifically the POSIX permissions you see in the Get Info window.

Similar questions

11 replies

Dec 12, 2019 6:51 PM in response to riverdogs

Could be MalwareBytes, or any other type of utility.

MBAM is a tool for removing Adware that you installed, either willfully or accidentally. Unless you enable its scan function, it is doing nothing to prevent you from installing more adware. If you have it set to scan, it could be the cause of the corrupt permissions. I've never set it up to scan, so I don't know what it is capable of doing.

Anything that provides any modification or enhancement to the OS could cause the problems.

Installed Catalina, now I can't open files. I checked permissions, I have read and write permission. Help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.